Good Scientific Communication Skills
This web page was developed for our summer Research Experience for
Undergraduates program at the Oklahoma Weather Center, but the
links are applicable to many different types of writers. I have
developed a 4-hour workshop on good scientific communication skills
and have presented this material to a variety of different scientific
organizations. I'd be happy to present this workshop in a number of
different formats at your group. Email me to find out how.
- The Mayfield
Handbook of Technical & Scientific Writing Best all-around book
I've found on scientific writing.
Wayne C., Gregory G. Colomb, and Joseph M. Williams: The Craft of
Research, 2nd edition (Another great all-around book on performing
and communicating up research)
Alley, "The Craft of Scientific Presentations"
- Edward Tufte
Books on Scientific Visualization
- The Science Editor's Soapbox, ISBN 0-9663011-0-2.
Werner J. Lipton
P.O. Box 16103
Fresno, CA 93755-6103
- A Ph.D. Is Not Enough! Peter J. Feibelman, Addison-Wesley
Publishing Company, ISBN 0-201-62663-2.
- How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper, Second ed.,
Robert A. Day, iSi Press, ISBN 0-89495-022-3.
- A Woman's Guide to the Language of Success: Communicating with
Confidence and Power., Phyllis Mindell, Prentice Hall, ISBN
0-13-157215-6. (Recommended by Pam MacKeen.)
- Put Your Science to Work. Peter
S. Fiske, AGU. http://www.agu.org/careerguide
- Handbook of Technical Writing Peter T. Brusaw, Gerald
J. Alred, and Walter E. Oliu. St. Martin's. ISBN
0-312-16690-7. (Recommended by Chuck Doswell)
- The Elements of Graphing Data. William S. Cleveland.
Hobart Press. (Recommended by Kim Elmore)
- Visual Revelations: Graphical Tales of Fate and Deception from
Napolean Bonaparte to Ross Perot. Howard Wainer. Copernicus
(Springer-Verlag). (Recommended by Kim Elmore)
- Communicating in Science. 2nd ed. Vernon Booth.
Cambridge (Recommended by Kim Elmore)
- The Careful Writer: A Modern Guide to English Usage
Theodore Bernstein. (Recommended by Luciano Fleischfresser)
- A Handbook for Scholars. Mary-Claire van
Leunen. (Recommended by Luciano Fleischfresser)
- Writing the Doctoral Dissertation: A Systematic Approach.
Gordon Davis and Clyde Parker. (Recommended by Luciano Fleischfresser)
- The Word: An Associated Press Guide to Good News Writing.
Rene J. Cappon. (Recommended by Keli Tarp)
RESOURCES AND CLEARINGHOUSES FOR OTHER WEB SITES
Return to the
National Severe Storms Laboratory.
Return to David Schultz's homepage.
Last update: 5 July 2005